Garbage Cart Information
Starting February 1st the City of Texas City will provide automated garbage collection through a contract with Waste Connections of Texas. A 96-gallon roll cart will be delivered to most residents in mid-January.
Request an Additional Garbage Cart
Residents may request an additional garbage cart using our Additional Cart Request Form. There is a $5 per month service fee for the additional cart.
About the Containers
- The containers are strong, well-balanced and not easily turned over by wind or animals
- Made of recycled plastic, the containers will not corrode, deteriorate or rust
- Each container has an imprinted serial number, hinged, tight-fitting lids and wheels for easy maneuverability
- Be sure to write down your serial number; view the "Missing and Damaged Carts" section for more information
- Carts should be placed in the street by 7 am with the wheels against the curb or at the edge of the paved street with the front facing the street; the automated trucks cannot service containers set out backwards
- Do not set garbage carts in alleyways
- Allow for 2 feet of space on all sides from any:
- Additional collection container
- Gas meter
- Telephone pole
- Utility box
- Other potential obstructions
- Vehicles should not be parked on the street near the container; allow plenty of space for the garbage truck to maneuver in front of the cart
- Loose trash should be bagged to reduce litter. Individual items placed in the cart can be dropped or blown away when it is dumped, creating unsightly litter in your neighborhood and potentially clogging storm drains
- Only garbage contained inside the cart will be collected. Do not place bags on top of the roll cart or on the side of the roll cart
- Do not overfill the roll cart; tightly compacted bags or trash inside the roll cart may not come out when serviced
Failure to comply with placement requirements will result in your garbage not being collected.
Garbage Cart Storage
Garbage carts must be stored on your property in between collections. Carts may be set out as early as the night before your collection day, and must be returned to your property no later than the day after collection.
Why do I need to store my container and keep it away from the street? Promptly and securely storing your cart will:
- Ensure each neighbor takes responsibility for their own waste and carts
- Ensure each neighbor has access to the public right-of-way
- Improve the appearance of the streets
- Prevent cart loss, damage, misuse and vandalism
- Reduce litter and the potential for illegal dumping
- Discourage waste scavengers in your neighborhood
Missing or Damaged Carts
If your cart is missing, first check the surrounding area to ensure it hasn't blown away or been mistakenly brought in by a neighbor. This is why it is important to write down your serial number.
If you are unable to locate your cart, call 409-643-5810 for a replacement. A fee of $55 may be applied to your account. Additional fees may be applied for excessive lost containers.
If your cart is damaged, call 409-643-5810 for a replacement. Fees may be applied to your account based on the damage.